Peanut Butter Chocolate Dessert
Gather the following ingredients:
- 20 chocolate cream-filled cookies
- 2 Tablespoons of butter, softened
- 1 package (8 oz) reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup of peanut butter
- 1 1/2 cups of confectioners' sugar
- 2 (8 oz) cartons of frozen lite whipped cream, thawed
- 15 miniature peanut butter cups, chopped
- 1 cup reduced fat milk
- 1 package (3.9 oz) instant chocolate pudding
Here are the steps:
- Crush 16 cookies and toss with butter.
- Leave the other 4 cookies to the side. They will be used for the topping.
- Press the cookie/butter mixture into an ungreased 9 inch pan.
- Place in the freezer, while the filling of the dessert is made.
- In a large bowl, using a mixer, beat the cream cheese, peanut butter, and 1 cup of the confectioners' sugar until smooth.
- Fold in 1 carton (8 oz) of the whipped cream.
- Take the 'crust' out of the freezer.
- Spread with the cheese/pb/sugar and whipped cream filling.
- Sprinkle with peanut butter cups.
- Place dessert back in freezer.
- For the next layer, in a large bowl, whisk the milk, pudding mix and the rest of the confectioners' sugar on for 2 minutes or until soft-set.
- Stir in the remainder of the cool whip.
- Remove the dessert from the freezer.
- Spread this layer on top of the peanut butter cups.
- Crush the remaining 4 cookies and sprinkle on top of the dessert.
- Cover and chill for 3 hours.
- Remove 15-20 minutes prior to serving.
- To crush the cookies, place cookies in a gallon size plastic bag and close. Place bag on cutting board and using a meat mallet, crush cookies. Keeps your hands clean and keeps the cookies from flying everywhere.
- Make sure the cream cheese and butter have softened before starting to assemble the dessert. This makes the ingredients easier to mix.
- If you buy the cool whip frozen, thaw it before putting together the dessert.
- Invest in a 9 inch dish!
- Serve small portions of the dessert as it is pretty rich.
Credit: This recipe was adapted from Taste of Home.